Keywords act as the building blocks of your SEO strategy. These are the pointers that give your optimization process the right direction. Visitors use keywords to search your website and if these are not used aptly, your website will be a lost star in the galaxy of the World Wide Web. Using right keywords at the right instance in the right manner could mean a better visibility for your website. This will means more views, more leads and improved sales.
Choosing the right keyword, however, is a more involving process than it is thought to be. Business owners often commit blunders while choosing keywords for their business websites and thus end up losing their hard earned fortune. Avoiding these mistakes and developing the right strategy for choosing keywords, can help in making an effective online presence as well as saving big bucks. Here are 7 keyword blunders that every business owner must stay away from:
- 1. Skipping the Research Stage: Researching your keywords is the most important aspect involved in selecting the right keyword. And not conducting a proper research is the most common blunder that business owners usually commit. It is essential to conduct a proper research to know which keywords are trending and what people are searching for. There are several free keyword research tools that you can use for the purpose.
- 2. Unbalanced Keyword Density: Keyword density is very essential from SEO point of view. As a general rule, the keyword density should be a maximum of 5 % to make your content aptly optimized. This means, if you are writing a 100 words write up, you need not repeat your keyword more than 5 times. High keyword density can lead to spamming and mar the reputation of your website online, affecting its ranking negatively.
- 3. Improper Placement of Keywords: There are certain key areas where you need to place your keywords in order to get maximized results. These areas include the first and last paragraphs of the content, page title, the headings and the subheadings. Having a uniform spread of keywords throughout the content is the most effective optimization means.
- 4. Unfocused Keyword Approach: Using generic keywords might bring you a lot of traffic but it won’t get you sales. Sales come only from targeted traffic. Thus, use keywords that target a specific audience. The traffic influx may be low but it will include people who will be interested in your products and services and will most probably make a purchase.
- 5. Singleton Keywords: Single keywords will not get you optimum traffic inflow. Moreover, there will be too much competition on single keywords for you to sustain. Thus, it is advisable to use phrases as keywords.
- 6. Keywords with an ‘S’ in the End: This mistake is repeated too often by business owners and web masters. Using plural keywords won’t fetch you desired results. It is a thing of common sense, anyone searching the web would use a singular keyword. So, singular form of keyword will always bring in more results.
- Single Keyword Obsession: Using the same keyword again and again won’t do any good but it might harm your optimization strategy. Use several keyword combinations. Obsession doesn’t serve the purpose in SEO, balance does. Try and strike a balance between target-drawing and target specific keywords.
Keywords are pivotal for building an effective online presence for your website. Choose the right keywords to ensure that your website is aptly optimised and gets high traffic influx. This will help your business grow and go places on the World Wide Web.