Technical SEO relates to all of the factors that have an impact on a search engine’s ability to crawl, render, index and then rank websites for specific keywords.
Search engines give preferential treatment in search results to websites that display certain technical characteristics — for example a secure connection, a responsive design or a fast loading time and technical SEO is the work you need to do to ensure your website does so.
Below you’ll find a checklist of important steps you can take to ensure your technical SEO is up to scratch.
1. Use SSL.
2. Ensure your site is mobile-friendly.
3. Search engines prefer sites that load quickly: page speed is considered an important ranking signal.
4. Fix duplicate content issues.
5. Create an XML sitemap.
6. Local Consider enabling AMP.
7. Add structured data markup to your website.
8. Register your site with Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools.
By following these guidelines, you can help to ensure that the security and structure of your site meets the expectation of search engine algorithms, and is rewarded in search results accordingly.